Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

if you dont mind me asking , I have one question, why did you go with the mustang v6 "120mph" speedo in your gt? your speedo will be off being stock are cars have the 150mph speedo and rpms tach is diff aswell now with your mods you speedo most be way off did you @ least calebrate it so it wont be way off?

Good luck getting things lined up with the trans/bell. I put a lakewood bell and 3550 in my 88 Notch and I had to massage the trans tunnel with a BFH and drill out one of the holes in the bell to get a bolt through for the starter after it was installed. Good times:grumpy:

How the hell are you late?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Lol when you tell your gf to be ready at 330 and she's not that's how you're late

he got a stage 3 I believe. Have some starter issues we have to deal with when he makes it back to my house. I have no Idea about anything to do with SBF motors, so I am of no help.

Correct, Spec stage 3. after driving it around today, it is crazy how little you need to engage the pedal to be fully disengaged. Literally depress the pedal about an inch, and you're ready to switch gears. Absolutely awesome

if you dont mind me asking , I have one question, why did you go with the mustang v6 "120mph" speedo in your gt? your speedo will be off being stock are cars have the 150mph speedo and rpms tach is diff aswell now with your mods you speedo most be way off did you @ least calebrate it so it wont be way off?

Oh not at all! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, been busy this weekend. The car had the v6 120mph speedo it in when I got the car. Being it was my first car, I never really realized that it was wrong for a while after driving it. It's surprisingly pretty close since I have stock gears still. Tach reads about 2-300 mph high and the speedo is surprisingly pretty spot on.

Good luck getting things lined up with the trans/bell. I put a lakewood bell and 3550 in my 88 Notch and I had to massage the trans tunnel with a BFH and drill out one of the holes in the bell to get a bolt through for the starter after it was installed. Good times:grumpy:

Phew, glad I didnt have to deal with any of that! God down under there, put her up on my chest and put that little bastard in place. Bought all new hardware for it to make sure that everything was going to thread correctly!

thanks, I know I am ;) haha

Hurry up with those pictures!

They're uploaded! Working on the post right now, just gotta take a dump!

Alright, enough of this tomfoolery, I'm cleaned up and ready to make this post! As most of you have seen with my recent updates, the Memorial weekend project consisted of a trans swap! Since this was a heavily photographed project, I'll be writing it up in a a few posts.

Friday started late as I had to do a wheel bearing on my GF's jeep for her. No big deal, ended up getting started about 10-1030 Friday night at 1997cobra's house. Thanks once again for the help! Couldn't of done it without yah! (dawwwwww).

A list of parts needed for the swap were as follows:

-TKO 3550 freshened up to TKO 600 specs (26 spline input, 31 spline output, new internals, the works)

-Supposedly was a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, well the shifter itself only says "downs" on it with a fancy script so I'm not positive if it's a knock off triax or what

-31 spline driveshaft yoke

-Mcleod Racing Bellhousing and Motor Plate

-Billet Steel Flywheel

-Spec Stage 3 Clutch

-New Ford Racing Rear Main Seal

8858680004_efea3f23c7_b.jpg

8858678100_e6a7f151ce_b.jpg

The first challenge in this entire ordeal was getting the car off the ground =p May sound similar but you try getting a jack underneath the car to reach a good jacking point....ain't gonna happen! That's where these trusty 2x4's come in handy! I normally have home made ramps buttttt forgot to grab them as I was leaving Friday =\

8855600980_a3d410deed_b.jpg

8854988895_36b0cd5fb9_b.jpg

From here, I didn't take many pictures as it was pretty common and basic stuff. Remove shifter bezel, shift handle, and lower shift boot (or what was left of it). After that, drop the exhaust up to the headers. Remove the driveshaft by removing the 4 bolts on the flange of the driveshaft where it attaches to the pinion flange. After that, remove the two bolts that bolt the trans mount to the crossmember, Once these bolts are out, you want to jack up on the trans just a little bit to remove tension on the crossmember bolts. Remove the crossmember, then the 4 bolts on the trans, and you'll find myself were you here: (note this is also where I ended my night on Friday)

8855604728_d1571afc6d_b.jpg

Saturday Morning: Let the real fun begin! Made a couple trips to autopart stores early to pick up everything we needed to do the swap. 4qts of GM Synchromesh, Pilot Bearing puller, and all the hardware we needed for the swap. 13x 3/8 bolts for bellhousing to motor plate, 6x 7/16 bolts for bellhousing to motor, and 4x 15mm bolts for trans to bellhousing, along with washers and nuts for the 13x 3/8 bolts.

Gotta love 4 legged help!

8855605872_9d42ba4919_b.jpg

After pulling the trans, I saw how dirty my car is underneath. Gross! Only one small spot of surface rust so that will be taken care of soon, as well as painting the entire underside once I have to drop the rear end out to get it built. I did wipe it down though to the best of my ability to clean the garbage salt off from driving it to get tuned way back when =\

8854993663_ff424418f2_b.jpg

As you can see, my car does not like winter, luckily it's all surface and will be sanded down and POR15'd once I get the opportunity!

8855607756_54e5368773_b.jpg

Next was to remove the OEM Foxbody bellhousing....this is where I started to realize just how fun this job was going to be with the longtubes installed....yah lets go with none at all. Though the pressure plate looked a little beat, the clutch was surprisingly not in bad shape at all!

8854996757_2c785d300b_b.jpg

8855614074_e0d27418d8_b.jpg

Flywheel and flexplate removed and tear down was almost complete! Just had to remove and replace pilot bearing and rear main seal. I bought the rear main while chasing down an oil leak and turns out its valve cover gaskets. Swapped it anyways since I was down in there. Easiest way to do it for me was to drill a hole through the first layer of the rear main, thread in a screw, then pry it out slowly. Install was much easier, line it up and tap it in slowly using the old rear main as a guide to protect the crank. Pilot bearing was very similar, use the Pilot bearing tool from autozone and then the old on to tap it in.

8855615452_bd64e66733_b.jpg

New Rear main and Pilot bearing

8855618994_ccfa0e19e9_b.jpg

Friday started late as I had to do a wheel bearing on my GF's jeep for her. No big deal, ended up getting started about 10-1030 Friday night at 1997cobra's house. Thanks once again for the help! Couldn't of done it without yah! (dawwwwww).

dawwww shucks <3

The first challenge in this entire ordeal was getting the car off the ground =p May sound similar but you try getting a jack underneath the car to reach a good jacking point....ain't gonna happen! That's where these trusty 2x4's come in handy! I normally have home made ramps buttttt forgot to grab them as I was leaving Friday =\

Ghetto jack is of no help

Gotta love 4 legged help!

8855605872_9d42ba4919_b.jpg

That animal has Satan in its blood, I swear

While I had everything apart, my clutch fork needed some attention, it had some gnarly surface rust on it so I tok the time to sand it down and spray it this fancy metallic silver. It was called Indy Silver

8855622466_83d1690147_b.jpg

8855621574_886c248850_b.jpg

8855625028_d709ce6e0b_b.jpg

8855013177_34ab504187_b.jpg

As with most swaps, it was going way to easy thus far. Before installation of the motor plate, we figured that attempting to hold nuts on the backside of all 13 of the extra bolts was going to be damn near impossible. Custom fab #1: Tacked in nuts on the backside of the motor plate for ease of install (THANK GOD WE THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!!!!)

8858067043_818c0897df_b.jpg

Went to fit the motor plate in and sure enough, doesn't clear the longtubes. Could of just clearanced the long tubes but it seemed like a much smarter idea to clearance the motor plate and bellhousing again. Once it was all said and done, I got about a 1/4" of clearance which was good enough for me. Put the new billet steel flywheel on and things were moving again as they should. Fit the clutch disc in, went to put in the old bolts again but they were the wrong thread pitch =\ custom fab #2

8855626734_a2aa8bd940_b.jpg

8855627170_dcb9ff4845_b.jpg

8855627486_9e34099bb9_b.jpg

8855627864_8258f2da60_b.jpg

All was going well. Then re-installation of bellhousing came around. FML Needless to say, the bellhousing wouldn't fit between the long tubes in any orientation at all. After fiddling with it for about 10 minutes, it ended up that we had to drop a header. No way around it. No pictures of this as I was way too frustrated. Basically had to completely unbolt the passenger side header and motor mounts, then jack up the motor about 3" so that the header would drop to be more vertical, giving use the clearance we needed. Got the bellhousing mounted up, all 13 extra bolts threaded in and tight, 6 motor bolts threaded in, and header back in place.

It all goes downhill from here. Went to throw the starter back in since it would of been the easiest at the time and that little bastard wouldnt go in for the life of me. Wouldn't line up over bolt holes, wouldn't lay in the hold straight, nothing. Well crap. Gave up for a few hours and went to have dinner as I needed to just walk away.

Came back with a monster and some motivation. After some brainstorming, we determined the only possible way that it would not be working would be if the flywheel was wrong. So we removed the header again, jacked the motor back up, removed bellhousing, clutch and everything we Just installed all day. Got down to the flywheel and basically the teeth were in the complete wrong plane in relation to the motor. I'll let the pics do the talking. Over an inch wider than my oem one, and wrong offset from the crank. New one on top, old one on the bottom. So if anyone knows what this flywheel is used on, please let me know so I can sell it correctly unlike the fuckstick who sold it to me -__-

8855015937_3ac47a0e27_b.jpg

8855015937_3ac47a0e27_b.jpg

8855628954_b3515a3468_b.jpg

Put the old flywheel back on and everything bolted up as it should. Weird how that works. Didn't take any pictures and they look basically the same. Don't know how I never took a picture of just the bellhousing and the bolts but I guess I didn't :shrug:

Sunday started with getting the trans prepped and ready for install! Cleaned up the surface rust before we put it in. Installed like butter! Went right and just worked the bolts and got her tight!

8854987127_8962c42595_b.jpg

8855016725_2b46045477_b.jpg

8855629774_4ed06c82b9_b.jpg

8855019719_cff7566e5f_b.jpg

While we reinstalled the headers, I threw down some paint on the trans mount because the salt was eating at the zinc plated energy suspension mount. At this point it was just hoping and praying that everything lined up on the stock crossmember......for whatever reason, the car gods decided to come through and it fit perfectly! Bolted the driveshaft in and it was smooth sailing from there. Rebolted exhaust, new shifter, tied up some loose ends and that was that!

8855019259_5943b74d4f_b.jpg

8855631022_9ec1fdda5a_b.jpg

8855018041_6c9eab8255_b.jpg

8855631464_85e3b9f416_b.jpg

8855020939_eb37360fb8_b.jpg

8855021341_e135b24b5b_b.jpg

8855021689_b3ec215a6f_b.jpg

8855635212_03b9e47907_b.jpg

8855023145_d80f9f8108_b.jpg

As a bonus project, I ordered MRT's drill less hood struts. Easiest install ever. Such an awesome mod!

8855020131_f80cf1c7a1_b.jpg

8855020495_0f43366a05_b.jpg

Thanks man! Driveshaft is and OEM length Ford Racing Aluminum. I've heard of people using a 5/8 spacer on the yoke just to help with distance but I haven't noticed any bad vibations so I think its okay.

Yah I did but here's a better one:

-TKO 3550 freshened up to TKO 600 specs (26 spline input, 31 spline output, new internals, the works)

-Supposedly was a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, well the shifter itself only says "downs" on it with a fancy script so I'm not positive if it's a knock off triax or what

-31 spline driveshaft yoke

-Mcleod Racing Bellhousing and Motor Plate

-Billet Steel Flywheel

-Spec Stage 3 Clutch

-New Ford Racing Rear Main Seal

-4 qts Penzoil Synchromesh

-13x 3/8 bolts for bellhousing to motor plate and nuts

-6x 7/16 bolts for bellhousing to motor

-4x M12 X 1.75 X 44.5

Edited by Det_Riot

Those were m15? I thought the head was 15mm

My mistake. Yes they were 15mm head, idk what the size was, do you remember?

edit: m12

You must notice a huge difference with the 3550 over the T5. Mine felt worlds ahead of the T5 it replaced.

Oh god, t's like a new car! The trans is so tight, it basically pushes me into the next year with such little effort! and the new clutch is phenomenal! Literally depress it an inch and I've got full disengagement. It is awesome =]

Heck yeah man... Is there a part number on the flywheel?

I don't believe so. Its 14 1/4 in diameter, 6 bolt, but that's about all I got out of it

Good work dude! Sucks about the speed bumps you ran into but that's how it works sometimes, at least it's done and you can enjoy it.

Thanks man! You're gonna love your t56 once you finish it!!

Did we ever compare that to my old flywheel? maybe its for a mod motor?

See this post below:

I don't believe so. Its 14 1/4 in diameter, 6 bolt, but that's about all I got out of it
On that plate you welded all the nuts too, why is the one that goes between the t5 no require bolts but this does? I'm confused

Jeremy

I'll link the pics when I get the chance. Idk if its required with all sfi approved bell housings or if they're all done up in similar fashion but because its a blow through bell housing, the extra 13 bolts are there to keep it all together in the event of a clutch or flywheel failure. It'll keep all the broken components inside the bell housing instead of blowing through it, the floor, and whatever else may be n the way including your legs

That driveshaft seems like its ready to just fly right out....

Yah I might grab a driveshaft spacer for peace of mind but its about halfway in

I think Its more then half way in, that yoke was long as shit

Its a common problem for me :/ just can't get the whole thing in. The big thing though is clearance to bottoming out. You ant about 3/4"-1" of "play" of the driveshaft. I'll have to check it when I mess with that upper control arm

Good stuff Bryan, see all the parts got there in time for you.

Thanks bud! You guys rock! Lemme know when those lower shift boots are in stick again. Hate to say what I used for the time being....... :look:

You didn't take a pic of that fabulous piece of custom shifter boot excellence!?I might cry

Lmaooo I'll take one today

Ah gotcha. just seems like its way out there hah

I hear yah. I guess the recommended amount of in and out play is 3/4" to 1" so I'll have to check that out

According to dts, you bottom your drive shaft out, then pull it out 1 inch. That is all the farther it should be out at ride height

According to dts, you bottom your drive shaft out, then pull it out 1 inch. That is all the farther it should be out at ride height

Does it matter if the suspension is loaded or not?