Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

amount of engagement is not the way to measure it. you could have a 7 inch long yoke, 3 inches of engagement will vibrate.

in all the way, back it out an inch. that's how the pros do it, that is how it should be done

Good to see you got it all squared away! As far as the DS spacer goes, maybe just keep an eye out for a used one to pop up or corral or something, coulda bought the one I had for sale a few months ago lol. Ryan (prokiller) is the proud new owner of it though.

so... if it doesn't vibrate it's good?

Yes. There should be no vibrations. From the drive line. My case got instantly smoother but I think that has more to do with that bolt I tightened up haha

You're going to need longer bolts for the spacer also

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! Another trip to ace!

Yup yup! Another trip to ace!

I wouldn't trust their stuff for that application. I'll pull a bolt out of mine and get the exact thing, just longer

• Moderators
I wouldn't trust their stuff for that application. I'll pull a bolt out of mine and get the exact thing, just longer

Ace sells Grade 8 hardware. I've got several cars held together with their hardware.

I have nothing against ace, ask Bryan, I love the place. I just don't trust their hardware against a rotational load. Would you use ace bolts for your flywheel, or in your motor?

• Moderators
I have nothing against ace, ask Bryan, I love the place. I just don't trust their hardware against a rotational load. Would you use ace bolts for your flywheel, or in your motor?

Haven't been faced with that issue, but I guess you're right in that I would get ARP stuff for my motor. However, my whole suspension is held together with "Ace" hardware.

Haven't been faced with that issue, but I guess you're right in that I would get ARP stuff for my motor. However, my whole suspension is held together with "Ace" hardware.

Ace, lowes, mom and pop hardware store. The grade of said bolts is still graded on the same scale.

Tapatalk made me do it!

• Moderators
Ace, lowes, mom and pop hardware store. The grade of said bolts is still graded on the same scale.

Tapatalk made me do it!

I wanted to say this, but somehow felt like I was being led into a trap.

Here's a comparison photo for you, there's plenty more room for the yoke to go in if you do get a spacer.

8855021689_b3ec215a6f_b.jpg

img1001vi.jpg

It might be ok with it as-is, but I would personally feel better getting it engaged further in. Granted I have a different situation because the IRS pinion flange is closer to the trans than the SRA pinion flange is. I am using an aluminum 94-95 DS with no spacer btw.

Also, your pinion flange does not move, so you can cut it as close as you want

This is true.

The comparison photo was just to show Bryan how much further the yoke can go in.

It would be just as strong as stock if you made it out of the same material. If it is made out of aluminum, it will be weaker that way

It's probably fine, considering you can get an aluminum drive shaft. but there will be a difference in strength. Same principle with wheel spacers. Look up maximum motorsports wheel spacer tech. Their spacers run the studs all the way through for a reason

Edited by 1997cobra

Exactly. The problem with aluminum is that you need something like twice the thread engagement compared to steel for it too be as strong