Steve-Oh

Eons for eons....

Price isn't bad either!

I started to cringe when I went to click the "get price" button.  Their price is $10 cheaper than McMaster too!  Well if this local guy can't come through than I'm clicking the add-to-cart button.

• Moderators

I started to cringe when I went to click the "get price" button.  Their price is $10 cheaper than McMaster too!  Well if this local guy can't come through than I'm clicking the add-to-cart button.

Shipping looks shitty though.  I paid $55 for my whole 4x8 sheet with it cut in half.

Great news...  IT'S BACK!  Con-way called yesterday morning saying it just arrived so it was a mad dash after work to get my Uncles trailer and get to the shipping facility asap since it was supposed to (and did) snow today. 

Everything looks solid and everything I sent them came back... with the addition of a bunch of paint marker ID numbers that I need to wipe off.  They wrote on the driver cylinder head "7 quarts primed", so I guess that means there's oil in it, haven't checked yet.  I'm gonna look it over pretty good today but all seems in good order.  Even better news, no charge!  Huge stress relief.

12797766284_363ddd6a24_b.jpg

Let me also add that having a floor mounted winch is the most under rated garage mod I've ever done.  It made unloading this a breeze, couple tow straps, press a button and go!  Slid right off the trailer with ease.  Of course, no build thread update would be complete without a cheesy video...

12797446783_2a6127aff7_b.jpg

...and since JP came up the other day in convo, I thought the music applied.

I've also been balls deep in this engine bay, what a huge snowball this is.  Huge amounts of credit goes to Rich (@95opal) for my final layout.  I didn't know it at the time of thinking how this would go together but after you posted that one picture in the other thread 2 days ago, I definitely remember looking at one angle shot of your bay a couple months ago and saying "That's how you do it!" (that sentence was a mouth full).  Anyways, I started to tack in the passenger side the other night and should have everything tacked in before the weekend.  I didn't even start on routing the wires, can't wait for that!

12797450113_1dcf238528_b.jpg

12797357365_4647d9d8c1_b.jpg

Hahahaha love the musical selection! I'm gonna need to get a lockpick for my truck so I can watch Jurassic park in it on the way down hahaha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Good deal Steve glad the motor headache is finally over for ya. Panels are coming along. One piece of advice ... make sure when your done welding everything back up that theres no flex left in any of the panels you welded in. Even if you have to go back and add a few more spot welds. You don't want any flex that will cause any filler cracking. Ive seen quit a few bays that look good at first glance until you get up on them and see spider cracks running everywhere. keep the updates coming

Hahahaha love the musical selection! I'm gonna need to get a lockpick for my truck so I can watch Jurassic park in it on the way down hahaha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Absolutely!  Long drive, might as well lol.

Good deal Steve glad the motor headache is finally over for ya. Panels are coming along. One piece of advice ... make sure when your done welding everything back up that theres no flex left in any of the panels you welded in. Even if you have to go back and add a few more spot welds. You don't want any flex that will cause any filler cracking. Ive seen quit a few bays that look good at first glance until you get up on them and see spider cracks running everywhere. keep the updates coming

Thanks man, this was a real stress the past month or so!  Great advice, I'll be sure to check all of that.  Think it's worth putting a high-hat kind of stiffener on the back of the panels?  It barely flexes now without the curved pieces welded in yet but I was still thinking of bending up a few and gluing them to the back with some 2 part metal adhesive. 

Haha, love the video of the motor arriving!

I really like the extra effort you're putting into the panels! That's my kinda stuff :2thumb:

lol had to do it. ;)  Thanks Dan, appreciate it!   B-)  

Your the metal guy steve...I just sling concrete..do whatever you feel needs to be done, just wanted to make you aware but seems as though it was already on your mind. Now continue on, be waiting for the new pics in the morning lol

Your the metal guy steve...I just sling concrete..do whatever you feel needs to be done, just wanted to make you aware but seems as though it was already on your mind. Now continue on, be waiting for the new pics in the morning lol

Lol touché!  Done and done.

So, I read back a few pages to check if I had missed it... what did Ford say was the cause of the destroyed camshaft? What exactly got fixed?

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

Funny you should ask that because I don't have an answer lol.  I emailed them after confirming my address with basically the same question and haven't received anything back.  I'm gonna try and call them before the week is out. 

that's awesome dude!  i really think i need to take a trip out your garage one day and check out the works in person.

Feel free lol, although it's quite the mess at the moment.  There's metal dust/pieces and card stock all over!

WAHHH! <_<

Today's progress was less of a progress and more of a setback.  Got the passenger side all tacked up and moved to the driver.  Started tacking it up and decided to address the "slight" rust issue I had on the frame rail.  It was definitely way worse then I expected but I guess this is what happens when you used to drive your car in winter.  Looks like I'll be forming new metal, fawking Mustangs.

12843150063_1637a48090_b.jpg

12843078065_85f3e75d42_b.jpg

12843158413_a0a0af71e5_b.jpg

12843084645_6accced904_b.jpg

12843503144_df1bc4fb4f_b.jpg

12843512064_c7d8fec8ca_b.jpg

12843177723_0b5cdbd567_b.jpg

12843175213_4b6f039be9_b.jpg

@frank830, see what I mean? (reference to your thread in "body/paint")

dude the vid with the JP music cracked me up!  reminded me of when they had the raptors in the crate in the beginning lol.  Glad you got your engine back in one piece, I'm also interested to hear what they said was the problem.

steve might want to check those rails and towers really good as those are not spots you want rust to continue spreading in. Address it all now and cut it all out even if you have to cut away at the tower and patch back in. Sucks to have a set back when your rolling, but better you found it now. keep up the good work.

Deadly progress and those panels ur making are awesome man I really like how this bay is going to look . Keep it up and I'm with opal on the doing a thorough check

steve might want to check those rails and towers really good as those are not spots you want rust to continue spreading in. Address it all now and cut it all out even if you have to cut away at the tower and patch back in. Sucks to have a set back when your rolling, but better you found it now. keep up the good work.

Yeah I'm gonna go through it all now lol. Probably end up rebuilding that whole section of rail since I know the bottom section where the k-member mounts is all starting to rot away also.

Deadly progress and those panels ur making are awesome man I really like how this bay is going to look . Keep it up and I'm with opal on the doing a thorough check

Thanks Kyle, trying my best! Yeah like I said above I'll be checking over everything pretty good. Seems those road cinders find their way into anywhere lol.

Sent from Space

I know the bottom section where the k-member mounts is all starting to rot away also.

Sent from Space

That was one of the concerns I was getting at along with the shock tower. Might have to inspect that from the back side as a ton of crap likes to collect in that pocket on top of the rail. Really makes a good recipe for rust. Again your the metal guy... I don't even know why I bother telling you any more lol. I know your on top of it. Anyway hope its not to bad and the patch work doesn't set ya back to far. Keep pluggin away ...ill be up for updates in the A.M. lol

That was one of the concerns I was getting at along with the shock tower. Might have to inspect that from the back side as a ton of crap likes to collect in that pocket on top of the rail. Really makes a good recipe for rust. Again your the metal guy... I don't even know why I bother telling you any more lol. I know your on top of it. Anyway hope its not to bad and the patch work doesn't set ya back to far. Keep pluggin away ...ill be up for updates in the A.M. lol

Lol thanks Rich, I do appreciate/welcome your feedback!  I may be the metal guy but you're experienced since you've done about a 100 of these bays!  B-)  I'll keep stabbing at it though... literally!

love that video!! lol

the frame rails look rough man sorry bout the rust. i feel like he whole world is rusting away lol. you'll get her right though and this fn car will be stunning dude!!! 

love that video!! lol

the frame rails look rough man sorry bout the rust. i feel like he whole world is rusting away lol. you'll get her right though and this fn car will be stunning dude!!! 

Ehhh it happens, dealing with it is the last thing I wanted but time to assess and conquer... I will win! :ph34r:

I did a lot of staring and thinking of how to approach this.  Figured out that there is two layers in there.  Basically it looks like the strut tower goes down into the frame rail and is reinforced by a "U" shaped piece that sits along the bottom (which is what rotted) along with two vertical cylinder bolt supports for the k-member (which basically didn't exist).  So I'll be remaking that u-shape piece along with new supports for the k-member bolts and a new ledge piece for inside the fender well... and will be reinforcing the sh!t out of it!

The good news is the actual frame rail has minimum surface rust so I don't have to replace the whole rail.  I'll sand it down, brush some chemical rust inhibitor and be done with that part. 

Tried to make this as easy to see as I could.  Second photo shows what needs to be eliminated (in blue)

12921943684_70bf28404c_b.jpg

12921638983_6c70abae79_b.jpg

This bastard took forever to get out.  Tough area to get a bit in there to rid the spot welds so I had to use a Dremel with a carbide bit mostly.  Blue arrow shows the culprit of alllll these problems.  Stones, salt and water would just kick up on top of that ledge and down into that hole filling up that cave with no exit.  That hole will NOT be there on the new piece.

12921535665_f7aacef1ce_b.jpg

With that out of the way you can now access the area a little better and will make things easier down the road. 

12921533505_b3ddc496ca_b.jpg

Not to mention, it took me most of the time to get this stupid thing out. 

12922368764_7bb9f06e72_b.jpg

This kind of frightens me about the future when I get around to shaving my bay... my car spent the first part of its life in Michigan (which is why I stripped and repainted the whole under body) so I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself doing all the same cutting and patching when the time comes... ugh.

yup that was the area I was talking about, infamous for being the breeding ground for rust. If people don't catch it before it gets bad it winds up eating the entire shock tower. Glad you cought it now and can fix it. If you didn't smooth the bay and left it you would have run into serious issues down the road.

i was looking at mine sunday thinking about this thread....i have some rust along the weld that will need to be addressed.

tha really sucks....do work steve!

Lol, garbage work.  Might just haul it off to the scrap yard and call it a day lol!  (I'm just saying that, could never do that)

dam i can imagine trying to squeeze in there with a dremel lol. bet you were like fuuuuuuuuuuuk  :angry:

Using the dremel sucks and it's time consuming but it works!  Pretty much exactly what I said though "ffuuucckkkkkkk" lol.  Actually, I said it real loud when I dropped the dremel and it broke one of the carbide bits off, son of a bish!

This kind of frightens me about the future when I get around to shaving my bay... my car spent the first part of its life in Michigan (which is why I stripped and repainted the whole under body) so I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself doing all the same cutting and patching when the time comes... ugh.

The driver side was actually showing rust through the frame rail so if you don't see anything I think you might be good for awhile.  I guess one way to investigate is to actually check through that middle hole in the fender well at the base of the strut tower (where the k-member bolts are).  With how much stuff was in mine you'd probably be able to feel it with just your finger.

yup that was the area I was talking about, infamous for being the breeding ground for rust. If people don't catch it before it gets bad it winds up eating the entire shock tower. Glad you caught it now and can fix it. If you didn't smooth the bay and left it you would have run into serious issues down the road.

Yeah that definitely would of gone unnoticed for awhile had I not done this so it's a blessing in disguise.  Freakin' Mustangs! 

I was looking at mine Sunday thinking about this thread.... I have some rust along the weld that will need to be addressed.

Time to get that stuff addressed!   Damn Northern cars, bunch of rust buckets lol.

I'm still confused about the engine. Didn't the distributor gear lose all its teeth or something like that? Anyway, glad it's back and that video was both hilarious and triumphant.

Those panels you're making look fantastic and I love the curvature you put into the bump. It absolutely sucks seeing that rust. I always get the feeling that once I see rust, the car is ruined, but of course that's not the case. Such a bummer. I'm sure you'll make it even better than before though.

I'm still confused about the engine. Didn't the distributor gear lose all its teeth or something like that? Anyway, glad it's back and that video was both hilarious and triumphant.

Those panels you're making look fantastic and I love the curvature you put into the bump. It absolutely sucks seeing that rust. I always get the feeling that once I see rust, the car is ruined, but of course that's not the case. Such a bummer. I'm sure you'll make it even better than before though.

The dist gear didn't lose all it's teeth but it did get chewed up a bit.  The camshaft gear did however lose about 30% of the teeth.  Just got off the phone with them and they deemed it a defective camshaft (He had mentioned hardness testing).  They replaced the oil pump, camshaft, dist gear and filter whilst also completely disassembling, checking and cleaning the engine. 

And thank you!  I got the same feeling but I can't let a "little rust" ruin my poor girl lol.  She'll be good to go in no time!

After about 700 different coats of chemical rust inhibitor, some welding and a smashed finger I can safely say the drivers side is basically DONE!  I still need to grind smooth the patch panel but I ran out of time tonight so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.  I've also been picking at the passenger side one as well, it's pretty much as bad as the driver side in it's own way.

Ok so we left off with a bunch of rust yadda yadda.  After countless hours spent with a dremel/carbide bit I got all the gross rotted material out.  Sanded down what I could and wire brushed and cleaned the inside of the rail.  Sprayed it with a shit load of chemical rust inhibitor to freeze any rust that's on the rail.

13278194165_043832a8bf_b.jpg

Then it was time to weld in the rest of the strut tower.  In the previous pictures when I first opened it up, this part was just dust and had no structural integrity at all.  I used the same gauge material the tower is made of which just so happened to be the same gauge as the extra galv I had laying around, WIN!

13278336203_df1f2ba208_b.jpg

So to help prevent further "build-up" I welded a plug on the spare hole to reduce the possibility of any more ciders getting in.

13300028355_ae4b4258f9_b.jpg

There was a reinforcement plate on the inside bottom of the rail that I decided to replace with a piece of 2"x2"x1/8" angle instead.  I stitch and plugged welded this in then drilled out the holes for the k-member bolts afterwards. 

13300173733_cf2127efe7_b.jpg

On top of that sits two sleeves for the k-member bolts.  As you can see the old ones were rather rotted.  In fact I think that's the only one that survived, the rest were pretty much deteriorated.  I had some 1"x1/8" square tubing laying around so might as well get rid of it!  I welded on a stabilizer (similar to how the original was) made from the drop off of the reinforcement angle. 

13300172703_a3742aa4fc_b.jpg

Hard to see but this is looking down into the rail with the sleeves in place.

13300390574_992d0daf8c_b.jpg

Sprayed a bunch of self etching paint in there then it was time to cap it back off.  I just reused the old one since with a little bit of hammering it was back to normal. 

13300017075_3498f49467_b.jpg

Lastly I capped the engine bay side of the rail with some 14 gauge steel.  This pretty much sucked as I was being particular about avoiding any warping.  Even though it's getting covered I still did little tack after little tack....  Took FOREVER! 

13300022015_40b03ac6b0_b.jpg

13300166263_a312c4cef9_b.jpg

SO!  Like stated earlier I just need to grind this flush and move onto finishing the panels.  I will say this was quite the nightmare but at the same time I'm glad I discovered it now and not on the highway when my k-member falls off. 

:blink::wacko::D:ph34r::excl: