Steve-Oh

Eons for eons....

i must have missed it, where is it going?

Back to MI to be inspected and fixed.

Also, picked up one of these a month ago to see how I felt about them.  They're 19" Laguna's and I'm pretty happy with them.  Now I just need someone to buy my old ones.

11201208306_8ec81a8841_b.jpg

11201314043_a8c11b330d_b.jpg

Love the over-builtness of the shipping crate! Nothing wrong with that, I'd want to protect my investment too!

And hell yes to the 19's, I wanna see tires mounted and the car on the ground to get an idea how they'll really look :2thumb:

Love the over-builtness of the shipping crate! Nothing wrong with that, I'd want to protect my investment too!

And hell yes to the 19's, I wanna see tires mounted and the car on the ground to get an idea how they'll really look :2thumb:

Yeah I just hope they didn't trash it taking it apart, even though I stated in the e-mail instructions on how to open it without destroying it. I also can't wait to see these 19's mounted! Seems to be a real struggle trying to sell the old ones though which is holding up production.

Sent from Space

How much did you end up getting for them?

Have you gotten any word as to when are you supposed to be getting your motor back?

I ended up with $750.  Not nearly what I wanted but they're gone and I can move on now lol.  They started tearing into it on Tuesday according to the last e-mail I got but they really didn't give me an idea of when they expected to be done with it.   

• Supporting Member

I know this seems random but follow me here @Steve-Oh. I will try my best to make it short...

A couple of years ago a then acquaintance of mine decided that since he had never modded a car he would take his 50k mile fox to a local speed shop to have his trick flow top end kit put on. From day one he had issues with their shoddy work and the car never ran right. Each year we have a local Rod Run to the coast and he always tried to take his cars to that. Each year, it would die and we would inspect. TIming was off, usually back at zero. From no fire to run well and die conditions etc. We chewed through the first tfs stage 1 cam, a second and finally an Ed Curtis FTI cam all on the gear exactly the same way.... Tried replacing dizzy gears and distributors. 

Here is what we discovered way too late in the game. The monkey that turned the wrenches all the way back with his original install of the H/C/I (yes we have disassembled and reassembled his engine 4 times) stabbed the dizzy so hard that he must have bent the oil pump shaft. Believe it or not, it was just enough to allow the dizzy to seat, but bad enough to cause the gears to chew each other apart. I suggest while you have it out and apart to check the oil pump shaft and ensure it is straight for fear of this not happening again. I know it seems out there, but we went through insane heartache and countless hours to get him running and I would hate to see you in the same place again. 

Hope this helps. 

@fiveohwblow, wow that's pretty rediculous! I was the one who installed the dizzy and can ensure that it was not forced in at all, doesn't mean that it still couldn't of happened. Regardless, it's in Detriot getting inspected and fixed by Ford Racing under warranty, if it's bent I'm sure they'll pick up on it. But when I hear back from them I'll be sure to bring that to their attention.

• Supporting Member

@fiveohwblow, wow that's pretty rediculous! I was the one who installed the dizzy and can ensure that it was not forced in at all, doesn't mean that it still couldn't of happened. Regardless, it's in Detriot getting inspected and fixed by Ford Racing under warranty, if it's bent I'm sure they'll pick up on it. But when I hear back from them I'll be sure to bring that to their attention.

For sure thanks for the update. Glad to hear you aren't footing the repair bill. Certainly worth a look before being here again! 

just to add a little bit of fuel to the fire. I have heard of, and have seen people have problems with the length of the oil pump drive shaft on 351w. I will be closely inspecting mine when I go for final assembly. <br /><br />especially after reading the above post.

Damnit now I'm paranoid as fawk lol! When I get it back, don't you worry, I'll be taking the timing cover back off and having a peak in there, I'm sure I'll be bugging you with pics as well ;)

For sure thanks for the update. Glad to hear you aren't footing the repair bill. Certainly worth a look before being here again!

Welllll, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves lol... I still haven't gotten confirmation from them that it's covered under warranty, but they've had it for a few weeks now and if it wasn't covered they would of contacted me by now. Hopes and dreams lol

• Supporting Member
Welllll, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves lol... I still haven't gotten confirmation from them that it's covered under warranty, but they've had it for a few weeks now and if it wasn't covered they would of contacted me by now. Hopes and dreams lol

Hahah muh bad. Yes, let's hope.

In other news, I felt real motivated today, entirely caused by looking @Psychorugby's build thread ;). Went out and started prepping everything to weld, dragged out the welder and set myself up. Got this far:

0E7BBF9B-66B7-4984-BDB2-34229E2A44A6_zps

Ran out of fawking wire! Looks like my strut tower has acne... I was very frustrated to say the least and since I had to go have a cavity filled this afternoon I just chalked it up as a loss. After the dentist I went to Praxair all droopy faced and numb and picked up another bottle of 75/25 and some wire... We'll try again tomorrow.

• Moderators

The tip of the rental welder jammed up so I am at a stopping point until I can get a new tip... no gas either so my un-ground welds look WAY worse lol.  @95opal has done such a fantastic job and I have a ton extra pictures if you need ideas.

The tip of the rental welder jammed up so I am at a stopping point until I can get a new tip... no gas either so my un-ground welds look WAY worse lol. @95opal has done such a fantastic job and I have a ton extra pictures if you need ideas.

Yeah you guys are doing an incredible job down there! Just grab some extra while you're there so you don't get held up again, that's the worst lol. Not having shielding gas has to suck, I hated running core flux without gas. I had to do that at the Airport once in the ceiling in a piece of duct covered in cooking grease... :pound head on wall:

Sent from Space

• Moderators

Yeah you guys are doing an incredible job down there! Just grab some extra while you're there so you don't get held up again, that's the worst lol. Not having shielding gas has to suck, I hated running core flux without gas. I had to do that at the Airport once in the ceiling in a piece of duct covered in cooking grease... :pound head on wall:

Sent from Space

It does make a mess.  I'm just too cheap to spend the extra $200 for the gas, regulator, wire, tips, etc. when I don't even own the welder.  When I buy one of my own, I will get all the good stuff!

Sent from Space

lookin good steve... Yes no gas sucks balls...but sometimes you just gotts roll with it and pound like a caveman lol

@SublimeRT best I could do at the moment, the quad is under the lift.

BF60E362-7FD8-433B-83C7-CF8C1A277CCE_zps

46F79FDA-F08C-45A3-BC67-21530E58C988_zps

Sent from Space

lookin good steve... Yes no gas sucks balls...but sometimes you just gotts roll with it and pound like a caveman lol

Thanks Rich! Nothing wrong with that, sometimes you just have to adapt and bang it out!

Damn you bay-smoothers.

Stop making me think about pulling my motor, I want to drive my car this year lol.

>:) doooo it!! Actually don't because I want you to drive it to. Especially to Carlisle so I can check her out in the flesh!

Sent from Space

Back to MI to be inspected and fixed.

Also, picked up one of these a month ago to see how I felt about them.  They're 19" Laguna's and I'm pretty happy with them.  Now I just need someone to buy my old ones.

11201208306_8ec81a8841_b.jpg

11201314043_a8c11b330d_b.jpg

what size tires are you gonna be putting on these steve? i really like these wheels man. dont be mad if i copy them in a few weeks lol. are they a stggered size set or the same width all around?

what size tires are you gonna be putting on these steve? i really like these wheels man. dont be mad if i copy them in a few weeks lol. are they a stggered size set or the same width all around?

@tony absolutely, feel free it really doesn't bother me. The tire size is still in question. It either has to be 305 or 325 and I'm afraid 325 will be too wide, still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. And yes they are a staggered set.

Sent from Space

Oh wow that is gorgeous.  I was not expecting a Hemi car.  I got a ride in a Hemi 4 speed RR at the Mopar Nats one year, was a friend of my Uncle who has an A12 automatic RR.  They'd race every chance they got while cruising around at night.  Riding in that Hemi car was probably one of the best experiences of my life.  I have a soft spot for the Mopars.  The green Challenger in my avatar was my first car after restoring it.  I'm also doing a full resto on my Dad's '68 Charger R/T 440/auto right now.  

I just looked through the thread too.  Very cool Cobra you have there.  It had a great stance in those pics a few pages back and lots of nice little touches.  That's a bummer what happened to the engine but it sounds like it's getting taken care of.  I'll be looking forward to seeing your engine bay progress and everything else as it comes back together.  

@tony absolutely, feel free it really doesn't bother me. The tire size is still in question. It either has to be 305 or 325 and I'm afraid 325 will be too wide, still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. And yes they are a staggered set.

Sent from Space

305/30's? what are the rears if you get them? 19x10?

Oh wow that is gorgeous.  I was not expecting a Hemi car.  I got a ride in a Hemi 4 speed RR at the Mopar Nats one year, was a friend of my Uncle who has an A12 automatic RR.  They'd race every chance they got while cruising around at night.  Riding in that Hemi car was probably one of the best experiences of my life.  I have a soft spot for the Mopars.  The green Challenger in my avatar was my first car after restoring it.  I'm also doing a full resto on my Dad's '68 Charger R/T 440/auto right now.  

I just looked through the thread too.  Very cool Cobra you have there.  It had a great stance in those pics a few pages back and lots of nice little touches.  That's a bummer what happened to the engine but it sounds like it's getting taken care of.  I'll be looking forward to seeing your engine bay progress and everything else as it comes back together.  

Thanks man, I'll make sure to pass the love along!  I agree, I love Mopars and being able to work with my Dad on his is a real treat.  Unfortunately though it's not a real Hemi car, it was originally a 383 car.  The 426 was bought a few years back and we swapped it in.  Car runs great and is lots of fun to drive with the drum brakes on  all four corners and no power steering lol.  

And thanks a lot, really appreciate it.  It's been a nightmare the past few months but it'll soon be over!

305/30's? what are the rears if you get them? 19x10?

That's correct, probably going to end up with 305/30's.  The wheel pictured is a 19x10 @ +47.5mm (so yeah, wheel spacers) .  I only ordered one because I wanted to get a real perspective on whether or not I would like them and how the fitment was.  I'm in financial limbo right now awaiting the results of my poor motors diagnosis, so they're low on the priority list at the moment.

Thanks man, I'll make sure to pass the love along!  I agree, I love Mopars and being able to work with my Dad on his is a real treat.  Unfortunately though it's not a real Hemi car, it was originally a 383 car.  The 426 was bought a few years back and we swapped it in.  Car runs great and is lots of fun to drive with the drum brakes on  all four corners and no power steering lol.  

And thanks a lot, really appreciate it.  It's been a nightmare the past few months but it'll soon be over!

That's correct, probably going to end up with 305/30's.  The wheel pictured is a 19x10 @ +47.5mm (so yeah, wheel spacers) .  I only ordered one because I wanted to get a real perspective on whether or not I would like them and how the fitment was.  I'm in financial limbo right now awaiting the results of my poor motors diagnosis, so they're low on the priority list at the moment.

yea man i feel ya. hope it works out for ya. 

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1

Spent last night basically killing time.  My dad was kind enough to goto his friends shop to grab me sheet metal so I can attempt to finish this engine bay.  I went in the garage the other day to look at it briefly, all looked good to go but I should of turned the light on when I was in there.  Planned last night as a cut fit and tack weld kindof night but to my disappointment all the metal he picked up was galvanized.  :(  His friends shop only stocks various gauges of galv, they don't work with steel usually and when they do it's duct work.  Back to square one of trying to buy sheet metal.  Up side is I'll have a ton of galv to make brackets out of!

Time for a rant...  I think the only reason this bothers me so much is because I used to work for a specialty sheet metal shop, so metal was always easily available to me.  Now that I don't anymore, finding a supplier in my area that sells to the "average joe" off the street is increasingly difficult.  I ran into this problem a couple years ago when I was building my cousin this video game racing chair.  Called a bunch of places and they either never returned calls or said "this is a job shop, we can't help you."  ...and again last summer... and the same thing is happening now.  I'm not surprised at all as the place I used to work for turned people away all the time because it wasn't cost effective.  :rolleyes:  Hopefully the plea post I put up on a local forum helps, I'll find out tomorrow as someone is gonna try and throw me a bone. 

grind the galve off..its just a coating...

id be willing to bet the mustang is galvanized anyways, but i cant say for sure

I entertained the idea...  Then I consulted the person who will be painting it.  He advised me to get bare sheet metal as the paint doesn't like to stick to the galv coating.  Then I started imagining paint flaking off my freshly painted engine bay which would instigate an immediate aggressive response by me, involving plastic explosives... or a rocket launcher... or both. 

• Moderators

Already exhausted that option lol. They only carried 26ga (which might as well be foil) and their prices were ridiculous.

Sent from Space

Eastwood carries 20g... not sure of size though.