Prokiller

The Great Green Flipper

Now that I have a garage large enough to actually work on cars i wanted to start getting into buying cars and cleaning them up to flip for profit.  The plan is to do it with mustangs for the most part because i know a shitton about them and i get discount on parts from work.  so no brainer. found this one craigslist wednesday and checked it out thursday night.  met him saturday morning and got the title transferred.  I'm now a vert owner....for now.

1995 DFG w/ tan leather auto GT.  has 127k miles on it.  and it's BONE STOCK.  i mean everything mechanical is stock. 

EE49D967-0A3E-40FC-A6AD-3DCD0289F9E6_zps

It really needs some TLC on the interior/exterior.  Mechanically it seems in tiptop shape.  it's slow as molasses right now and i think it's because the cats are clogged.  it won't even get out of it's own way when you mash the pedal.  the auto shifts pretty good though.  Starting with the exterior, the front bumper is cracked and will need to be replaced.  the rear bumper's paint is flaking off but the bumper itself seems to be fine.  the passenger side skirt has a good scuff down to the material, but not that bad.  the driver's door really sags.  the top isn't bad, but there is a patch in the driver's side.  the driver's side latch isn't working right but not sure if it's broken or fixable yet.  the driver's window needs it's motor bushings replaced.

C75D544E-5560-4068-87AA-BA2904EB8C3C_zps

A277A852-E3AC-4884-A436-DFA52EBB563B_zps

3D6BD7F0-91FE-4975-BD4B-2F3603F3635B_zps

The motor is stock like i said, and it was quite dirty.

2750F318-5759-4EFE-A80A-F7AA11953664_zps

the interior was pretty gross.  i should have taken more pictures of how nasty it was.

1DDEAE1B-DAD6-44C0-B42D-5E6D12C4C4EF_zps

the underside of the car is actually great.  it's actually nicer than my mustang.  the only rust i see anywhere is the exhaust, and the bottom of the a-arms.  the pinch welds are actually straight!  there was an oil leak, but i'm pretty sure it was from the filter not being on there tight enough.  of course that made a mess though.

A0EE4EE7-1EE8-4D72-8BCF-F70E6FC5E31B_zps

09C4B36F-DEF2-4DDA-A8D5-F7EED7EB9ECC_zps

9F906636-FC17-4A86-8219-B1ECD8862CF8_zps

now started the teardown

7AC38237-12A3-452C-B3C3-ABF708C779BB_zps

jacked it up and took the front apart.  the headlights are going.  going to put my old lights on there. and delete the pony. 

DC6F3F4B-6580-460F-BBF6-A74ADBC7DECD_zps

changed the oil and filter.  changed the fuel filter too.  will be putting my old MSD coil, cap/rotor, and plug wires on it as well as new plugs.

but before that, had to clean up the engine bay a bit.  simple green FTW

421094FE-57B6-44C7-B626-C2EF8E197E75_zps

I had washed the car but there is like no wax on this car.  like it probably was done maybe 5 years ago.  i scrubbed the hell out of the top and it does look better but i want to try again with some actual vinyl top cleaner.

3F13A8FA-012C-4DDD-BA76-D62C1410A8BD_zps

next up was pulling the seats out

B1D6E040-4DE3-409D-A66D-BF51AC058BAD_zps

no evidence of mice but there was soooooo much leaves and shit under the seats and behind the rear panels that it was actually composting into dirt.  it was pretty gross.  i'm not even going to try and clean the carpet, just going to get a new one.

the plan is to get new carpet, mats, and seats for it (switching to black).  throw my old MAC catback on it, and get an o/r mid-pipe.  put a CAI on it too.  will try and paint correct it or if it can't really be saved, then i might just wrap it.  otherwise it just needs a real good cleaning.

Nice, hopefully it works out that you make some decent cash at this. Really once that terrible interior is swapped out it'll look like a completely different car. The driver's seat looks like it was attacked by a dog lol.

Have Tom wrap it!

it looks soo much better already , just keep in mind the more you put into it the more you need to make when you sell it , labor vs parts , for ie the carpet try cleaning it and see if that works instead of buying new ...

Was kind of thinking the same thing as YeahLoh95 on the parts investment front, but maybe you have a good salvage yard near you?  Obviously I don't know what you paid for it, none of my business but I imagine the profit margin has to be relatively slim on a > 100,000 mile, 5.0, auto, SN95 GT.

Really cool project, though!  Definitely in for updates!

this is the typical sn95 i see around columbus lol. well...actually this seems to be in a little better shape :P

imo cosmetic stuff can be fixed easily. the mechanical stuff can be a nightmare though. once you get it all cleaned up you may get some decent $$ out of it. sell it on cl in ohio lol. they seem to think an old sn is worth thousands more than anywhere else  :rolleyes:

That bumper looks repairable to me.  vatozone carries a bumper repair kit that should take care of it, worst case you are out $10.  It comes with an epoxy and a mesh almost like a bondo repair kit and its used the same.  Clean the back, smear the epoxy over/through the mesh and try to work it into the cracks as well.  Once it dries you can use a little filler and primer and your done.  I had a spot on my front bumper of my parts car where it looked like they bumped something pretty hard as it was cracked and it had a small bubbled area from where it got stretched.  I repaired the crack and sanded down the bubble and you can't see it now with primer over it.

This car is very odd. I just couldnt believe how clean the underside was. Its like it was kept in a garage and never driven in winter, but just never cleaned or something. 

With just a few things it will look like a different car though. Cant wait to see the top after another cleaning as well. 

That simple green was the best investment for the car yet lol

got a few things done last night on this thing.

the dog loves hanging out inside it with the top down.

635C3E11-ECBD-4803-BF6D-291FE593F9FA_zps

got the carpet pulled out but didn't have the right size torx bit to get the seatbelts out so i can't put a new carpet in yet.  There is some surface rust on the floor but not much.  i'm not going to worry about it unless it starts peeling when i clean it.

7CEDE845-5904-441A-88AF-71135038C88D_zps

A9C3C77D-FDB1-4DFD-B8EC-0212F15683AA_zps

and the pile of pulled out parts so far

FFDDF62C-595C-44AE-AD56-CD011852068D_zps

@Shifty started cleaning up the door panels and the dash.  We also pulled the sun visors out since they are shot and will need to be replaced.

hah love that the dog just chills in there while youre working.  Ryan if you need parts, i still have some random stock stuff hanging out in my garage from the 96 i parted out.  Black and tan interior.

thanks Will.

anybody know if vert and coupe sun visors are the same?

it should be a T50 TORX

you have one troy?  bring it this weekend

thanks Will.

anybody know if vert and coupe sun visors are the same?

you have one troy?  bring it this weekend

Vert visors are different and a PITA to find nice ones. MPS raped me for a NIB set a few years back. 

Oh Jasper! What a help! Someones you just need a furry companion to keep yah motivated! Great progress so far Ryan, what's the midnight devil think of all this attention flipper the dolphin is getting?

well i don't need the torx bit anymore troy @Yeahloh95 my dad brought down my old mac catback last night and had a T50 bit.

@Det_Riot  i actually did work on the other car last night for a bit.

Are you at all worried that you'll get finished and want to keep it? I know I've heard you talk a few times over the years how you'd like to get a gt vert cruiser...

yes and no.  i do want another gt vert pretty much optioned like this one but not this color scheme.  also my dad went in on this one so i would have to "buy" him out. 

Check the torque boxes.

i doubt the car was ever pushed that hard to do anything to them but i will check them out when i do the exhaust. 

i'll be ordering a bunch of stuff tonight.  new carpet, floor mats, front seats, front bumper and a CAI.

haven't really worked on the car a whole heck of a lot.  trying to finish up odds and ends on the house so i can actually hit this car hard.  I started to put the CAI on there but the IAT wasn't cooperating and it was getting to be 2am friday night and i was getting tired.

i laid the carpet out in the interior to see what all would need to be cut but then pulled it out because my dad was coming down to work on the paint this weekend.

Spent better part of the day buffing it out.

trunk lid before:

CCD9B39A-4EEE-4493-AF68-93B5E7247015_zps

trunk lid after:

210517CE-3704-4F85-A2DB-58E2E69817E2_zps

DB5BA576-EBBA-4066-A3CE-8FD5419B3B51_zps

car turned out a pretty decent.  there is still more to be done but it was just getting too damn hot out to keep working on it.  the whole top surface is done and the driver's quarter and trunk lid. 

my mom's work actually had a wall unit that they were throwing out that i was going to try and scoop up but i was too late.  would have been awesome to get a big wall unit for free to throw in the garage to just cool it down a bit when you're working in there.  downside is i need more lighting to keep the doors closed.

my mom's work actually had a wall unit that they were throwing out that i was going to try and scoop up but i was too late. would have been awesome to get a big wall unit for free to throw in the garage to just cool it down a bit when you're working in there. downside is i need more lighting to keep the doors closed.

The duct run that goes to some of the upstairs runs through the garage so we just tapped a vent into that line with a damper on it. Keeps the garage at about 74 throughout the summer and about 65 in the winter.

Sent from Space

just curious, if youre gonna flip it, why spend the money on a CAI?

sex appeal.  it's a cheap mod that spruces up the engine a bit.  other than the MAC catback and a midpipe, that will be the only performance changes.  the cats are really clogged on this pipe otherwise i would leave the mid pipe alone too. 

got a replacement rear bumper.  with the exception of one scratch, the paint is pretty good.  the bottom cutout section has some wear marks but that's really easy to just mask off and respray with black.  going to do that before i put it on.

06CE69B2-0920-4890-8D63-FFE226E2D973_zps

also got the rest of the pinstriping off so we can now finish buffing the car.