Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

Good info that I'll keep in mind when I'm going down the same road. I guess I need to get some offset rack bushings. Curious why it needs offset bushings to clear though?

• Moderators

Yeah k-members always seem to fight you a little bit when trying to get it all to line back up. I experienced the same thing. Without offset rack bushings, the ps lines/shaft would hit my oil pan.

Since nothing else is in my car, none of this was an issue.  I did have to wallow out the mounting holes on the QA1 in order to get all 8 bolts in though.  The replacement Maximum Motorsports K member went in with ZERO issues.  Now, @Det_Riot has me wanting to powder coat my K member... bastard.

Good info that I'll keep in mind when I'm going down the same road. I guess I need to get some offset rack bushings. Curious why it needs offset bushings to clear though?

I'll take a picture today of where the interference is. The snout that comes out for the lines won't clear the main bar. small things I feel like they should of accounted for.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

not bad though that you got it in without any major complications.

yah just a kick in the ass when I wasn't planning on spending a whole night on it.

thats a lot of wires hanging around too.. lol

They're already to be final soldered!. I know where they all go

Now, @Det_Riot has me wanting to powder coat my K member... bastard.

Powdercoat EVERYTHINGGGGG

• Moderators

Powdercoat EVERYTHINGGGGG

You sonuvbitch!  My car will never start rolling if I have to take the K member off too!  I've gotta think about this now... black K member, blue motor... or red K member, blue motor?

If it's anything similar to mine then the forward mounting slots are the stock location, the rear ones set the motor back one inch. Just something to look into. Also those brake lines are a pita and need to be moved.

With my rack in the lowest position in the bushings my sway bar still hits slightly on my oil pan. I may remedy that this time around with spacers.

How much fun was it squaring the k-member up? I know it can be a bitch with the motor still in the way.

Sent from Space

Lol squaring the k member? There was about 1/16" of play in either direction. Figured that can be countered with a proper alignment

Lol squaring the k member? There was about 1/16" of play in either direction. Figured that can be countered with a proper alignment

you obviously didnt do something right then, because it sounds like you fought everything else the rest of the way ;)

I would always check for square...last think you want is the motor sitin cocked

I would always check for square...last think you want is the motor sitin cocked

What's the best way to square it? what do you base it off of?

Lift it up level. plumb bob to the floor from the exact same spot on the forward most rear lower control arm mount. Mark that. do the same up front, don't know if the k-member you got has specific holes for squaring so just use the same exact spot on each side of the k-member. Drop a bob and mark it. Cross measure those marks, adjust until you're within 1/8" (or better).

Sent from Space

Only works if you never plowed a curb on the stock K....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

woah woah woahhhhhh shit didn't even bend.

Whoops, edited my post above.

Only works if you never plowed a curb on the stock K....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Who does that? Amateur drivers!

Sent from Space

K-member sure is pretty but it sounds like it was a total pain in the rear.  What brand is it?  I've had a PA Racing and now have a Maximum Motorsports k-member in my car and both of them slid right in without any struggle.

I did go to the bother of squaring the Maximum Motorsports k-member and it really took no time at all and was quite straight forward to do.  Only hilarious mistake I made was I couldn't figure out why I had so much adjustment on one side and not the other.  Turned out I forgot to remove the oil filter from the engine before hanging the k-member and it was contacting the motor mount, oops... (You have to run a relocation kit with the MM piece)

K-member sure is pretty but it sounds like it was a total pain in the rear. What brand is it? I've had a PA Racing and now have a Maximum Motorsports k-member in my car and both of them slid right in without any struggle.

I did go to the bother of squaring the Maximum Motorsports k-member and it really took no time at all and was quite straight forward to do. Only hilarious mistake I made was I couldn't figure out why I had so much adjustment on one side and not the other. Turned out I forgot to remove the oil filter from the engine before hanging the k-member and it was contacting the motor mount, oops... (You have to run a relocation kit with the MM piece)

Its a TeamZ k member. I haven't seen anything about people needing to run a relocated filter with these so idk. I thought it was odd that it lined up in the rear holes but turns out that it isn't that odd.

Hahaha okay okay okay we'll square it tomorrow. Then start reassembling the front end and finish up welding! whoooot

Sooooo much teal!!  Are you just going to paint what you welded or do the "Dan mod" and coat the whole underneath?  Given the time frame I'm gonna guess you'll wait on the undercoating lol.  Although it'd be fawking sweet if the bottom was teal also...  Just sayin'!

Sooooo much teal!! Are you just going to paint what you welded or do the "Dan mod" and coat the whole underneath? Given the time frame I'm gonna guess you'll wait on the undercoating lol. Although it'd be fawking sweet if the bottom was teal also... Just sayin'!

Haha for now its getting the "hey what isn't going to allow this raw steel to rust" mod ;-) and will likely stay that way until winter. When if all goes to plan, will be getting taken apart again....just hopefully in my own garage!

Haha for now its getting the "hey what isn't going to allow this raw steel to rust" mod ;-) and will likely stay that way until winter. When if all goes to plan, will be getting taken apart again....just hopefully in my own garage!

Trust me, you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of painting the whole under body if you want to make it to MW, lol. It doesn't seem that bad in theory until you start scuffing and prepping, then masking, etc.  It gets very time consuming and if you hurry through it too much it turns out like shit (like wiping things down multiple times to make sure any oil residue is gone...the leaky rear main you had no doubt has put a fine mist of oil under your car from highway driving...in my case having the dipstick blow about a half quart out on the highway made quite a mess under the car). I have a shirt and pants that I still wear when working on the car sometimes that are permanently gray from laying under the car painting also, haha.

Trust me, you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of painting the whole under body if you want to make it to MW, lol. It doesn't seem that bad in theory until you start scuffing and prepping, then masking, etc. It gets very time consuming and if you hurry through it too much it turns out like shit (like wiping things down multiple times to make sure any oil residue is gone...the leaky rear main you had no doubt has put a fine mist of oil under your car from highway driving...in my case having the dipstick blow about a half quart out on the highway made quite a mess under the car). I have a shirt and pants that I still wear when working on the car sometimes that are permanently gray from laying under the car painting also, haha.

Hahaha oh god yah sounds like a slippery slope of nonsense! I can't wait!! hopefully though I can acquire a lift to do it on. hmmm couple people in mind, just don't know if they'd let me leave my car up there for a weekend