Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

Trust me, you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of painting the whole under body if you want to make it to MW, lol. It doesn't seem that bad in theory until you start scuffing and prepping, then masking, etc.  It gets very time consuming and if you hurry through it too much it turns out like shit (like wiping things down multiple times to make sure any oil residue is gone...the leaky rear main you had no doubt has put a fine mist of oil under your car from highway driving...in my case having the dipstick blow about a half quart out on the highway made quite a mess under the car). I have a shirt and pants that I still wear when working on the car sometimes that are permanently gray from laying under the car painting also, haha.

Ill second that.... probably the worst thing ive ever done as far as working on a car period!

Definatly hated doing mine, had paint and oil residue all over me for a couple of days and several showers later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust me, you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of painting the whole under body if you want to make it to MW, lol. It doesn't seem that bad in theory until you start scuffing and prepping, then masking, etc.  It gets very time consuming and if you hurry through it too much it turns out like shit (like wiping things down multiple times to make sure any oil residue is gone...the leaky rear main you had no doubt has put a fine mist of oil under your car from highway driving...in my case having the dipstick blow about a half quart out on the highway made quite a mess under the car). I have a shirt and pants that I still wear when working on the car sometimes that are permanently gray from laying under the car painting also, haha.

I saw I guy who pulled all the components off the bottom end and sand/media blasted the under side.  He said it saved him so much time.  Media strips off all the crud without any solvents, scraping, or rubbing involved.  However, that method comes with its own issues.  But if you have the space outside to put the car up in the air it might be something to consider.  When I asked him about how long it took him from start to finish (power wash, media blast, power wash again, let dry overnight then paint) he said he had maybe a full day in it. 

• Moderators

I saw I guy who pulled all the components off the bottom end and sand/media blasted the under side.  He said it saved him so much time.  Media strips off all the crud without any solvents, scraping, or rubbing involved.  However, that method comes with its own issues.  But if you have the space outside to put the car up in the air it might be something to consider.  When I asked him about how long it took him from start to finish (power wash, media blast, power wash again, let dry overnight then paint) he said he had maybe a full day in it. 

This is the route I am hoping to go, but I have to get it rolling first to get it out in the driveway.

Picking up the final pieces to the interior tomorrow! Bolting the rest of the front end together today :-)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The new brakes and more flush fitment upfront really made a huge difference

Very nice ..always liked those calipers ever since tom picked a set up for his pace car.

Totally envious of the brakes. Looks great, dude!

Thank you gentlemen!! I didn't know @69clark was rocking these on the pace car. Makes me confident these will be perfect!

Thank you gentlemen!! I didn't know @69clark was rocking these on the pace car. Makes me confident these will be perfect!

Yea he smoothed his and they now wear the SINIS logo instead, but they're the same calipers :2thumb:

f6482640ee4111e29a5722000a1fac03_7.jpg

Yup, thats what I am running too. But like everything else, they have been customized. I didn't want "Jack's" name on my car, so I didn't my own thing. LOL

Carlisle2011_1979pacecar097.jpg

fuelcell_79pacecar026.jpg

parts_79pacecar004.jpg

Yup, thats what I am running too. But like everything else, they have been customized. I didn't want "Jack's" name on my car, so I didn't my own thing. LOL

Carlisle2011_1979pacecar097.jpg

fuelcell_79pacecar026.jpg

parts_79pacecar004.jpg

So much win!!!! I'm pm'ing you a couple questions :-)

I think it needs to be a logo of a whale with a cannon mounted where the blowhole should be ;)

Hahaha I have a vision in my head and it's hilarious

The first google image result for "whale cannon" is this lol:

Cannon_Whale_by_H2Own.jpg

needs a little more sex appeal.  maybe put some lingerie on it.  @Det_Riot, you need to get this airbrushed under the hood.

needs a little more sex appeal.  maybe put some lingerie on it.  @Det_Riot, you need to get this airbrushed under the hood.

Can totally make this happen.  My cousin is an artist and has sick airbrush skillzz.  I'll get you a good deal!

Put one caliper on......immediately leaking dust seal....wtf.......now where to find replacements. Ugh @69clark @LilRoush @iRoush any ideas?

Not gonna be easy as those calipers are discontinued... not sure if tom even knows ... hes still at the smokinstangs event...

Gotta be extra careful when pulling them apart and rebuilding them kid. GL hope you can find a set on short notice as I know MW is fastly approaching

Not gonna be easy as those calipers are discontinued... not sure if tom even knows ... hes still at the smokinstangs event...

Gotta be extra careful when pulling them apart and rebuilding them kid. GL hope you can find a set on short notice as I know MW is fastly approaching

Gahhh tell me about it. I don't even think it was my fault removing. two if the seals seemed bigger than what they should if been and must if caught the piston and tore the seal

Gahhh tell me about it. I don't even think it was my fault removing. two if the seals seemed bigger than what they should if been and must if caught the piston and tore the seal

That sucks.... If you know the piston bore you might be able to cross reference to a different caliper of the same size and pray they work. That's the crummy part about having old rare parts that have been laid to pasture. replacing shit is near impossible... you may want to try stage 3 as they used to sell them and with a bit of luck might know were to get a rebuild kit